Re: [dev] [surf] shell script to do bookmarks, history, and other things

From: Nibble <nibble.ds_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:02:28 +0200

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:41:48 -0400 (EDT)
Peter John Hartman <peterjohnhartman_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> The code looks even better. Here's some more additions and some
> subtractions.
>
> * I didn't like the "tag" business with the bmarks. It complicates
> with little payoff.
>
> * You never in fact had entries being written to history. I store
> both smart prefix entries, e.g., "g foobar foo" and ordinary entries
> e.g. "http://www.foobar.org"
>
> * I still need to re-implement the code to verify that the entered
> url in fact resolved before storing that entry into the history
> file. That's in the old script.
>
> * I have a history to the find as well.

Hi Peter,

I think we should keep the script as simple as possible. In fact, I
simplified it even more and uploaded it to the surf wiki (you can get
the last version of the script at http://nibble.develsec.org/get/surf.sh
while the wiki is not updated).

In this version:
* The field 'tag' is not stored in bookmarks, I use to search bookmarks
  by url (or I simply use delicious for public bookmarks)
* The option b in ^g has been removed (this function is already done by
  dmenu)
* The current url is passed to dmenu with ^G so it can be easily edited.
* Instead of storing all the search history, I get the last keyword and
  pass it to dmenu (^s).
* The function s_set_uri has been replaced by the generic s_xprop
* More code clean up.

Kind regards,
-- nibble