Re: [dev] wmii; make with /bin/bash not with /bin/sh

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 11:43:02 -0400

On Thu, 20 May 2010 14:51:37 +0200
David Schmid <info_AT_david-schmid.de> wrote:

> Hello dear subscribers,
>
> when compiling the wmii+ixp-3.9b1 on a solaris box, make
> calls /bin/sh to evaluate several scripts. Since /bin/sh is really
> old around here, make dies instantly because /bin/sh can't interpret
> the scripts ("/bin sh: bad substitution").
> Since relinking /bin/sh to /bin/bash is neiter a decent nor any
> option here, how do I get make to use /bin/bash and not /bin/sh?

Sorry, I've just reread this. Can you tell me exactly which scripts
fail to run under Solaris' sh? It might help to run

    noisycc=1 make

and post the output. The only place /bin/sh is called directly is in
the shebang line of the util scripts, and they're all very basic, so
I'm not sure why there would be a problem. If you're really desperate,
you just do something like:

for f in util/*; do
  ed $f <<EOF
    1s/sh/bash/
EOF
done

but I'd really rather fix it to work out of the box.

--
Kris Maglione
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad