[dev] Re: wmii; make with /bin/bash not with /bin/sh

From: David Engster <deng_AT_randomsample.de>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 21:46:01 +0200

David Schmid writes:
> David Engster <deng_AT_randomsample.de> wrote:
>
>> GNU make will never set the shell from the environment.
>>
>> I've built wmii on Solaris without problems using
>>
>> gmake SHELL=/bin/bash
>
> seeme like using "make SHELL=/bin/bash" instead of "SHELL=/bin/bash
> make" _does_ make a difference. Now this is something new for me.

You want to set the SHELL macro, not the environment variable SHELL. The
latter will always be ignored by GNU Make, even when using "-e".

> Now it says:
>
> MAKE all libbio/
> ../util/compile: syntax error at line 13: `(' unexpected
> make[1]: *** [bbuffered.o] Error 2
> make: *** [dall] Error 2

Sorry, forgot to mention that you still have to set /bin/bash in those
scripts in util.

> Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I've just reread this. Can you tell me exactly which scripts
>> fail to run under Solaris' sh? It might help to run
>>
>> noisycc=1 make
>>
>> and post the output.

Last I checked, /bin/sh on Solaris was still the old Bourne shell, which
as you already wrote isn't POSIX and - amongst various other things -
doesn't understand $() command substitution, only backtick notation.

-David