Re: [dev] [wmii] problem with wmiir xwrite /client/$client/ctl kill

From: Alex Kilgore <adkilgore_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 21:32:32 -0400

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 06:28:25PM -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:55:09 -0400
> > The keypresses are still reported, but it seems that they are just
> > not acted upon
>
> In that case, the problem is either with wmiir, the 9P connection
> itself, or wmiirc. The best thing to do is launch wmiirc from a
> terminal as ‘sh -x wmiirc’. You'll probably want to ‘wmiir
> rm /rbar/status’, as well. Then run ‘wmiir xwrite /client/sel/ctl kill’
> and see what output you get from wmiirc when you try key pressing your
> accelerator keys. Probably best to just post the output here, actually.
> It might be a good idea to find wmiirc's subprocesses with ‘psid -p’,
> too.

Actually, this helped quite a bit, first of all, I tried running sh -x ~/.wmii-hg/wmiirc and realized that the issue only happens when I am using
dash, so sh behaved as expected, so if i change the #!/bin/dash -f in wmiirc to #!/bin/sh, the problem goes away!

When I did run ‘wmiir xwrite /client/sel/ctl kill’ from a dash instance of wmiirc, it quits execution
Just in case you might know what was causing it based on this information,
this is the end of the output of
dash -x ~/.wmii-hg/wmiirc

+ echo ClientMouseDown 0xe0000d 3
+ sed s/^[^ ]* //
+ wi_arg=0xe0000d 3
+ unset IFS
+ set -- ClientMouseDown 0xe0000d 3
+ event=ClientMouseDown
+ shift
+ Event ClientMouseDown 0xe0000d 3
+ event=ClientMouseDown
+ shift
+ read wi_event
+ wi_fnmenu Client 3 0xe0000d
+ group=Client-3
+ shift 2
+ echo Client-3
+ tr - _
+ _last=Client_3_last
+ eval last="$Client_3_last"
+ last=
+ echo LBar-3-Delete
Client-3-Delete
Client-3-Fullscreen

+ awk -v s=Client-3 BEGIN{n=length(s)}
                         substr($1,1,n) == s{print substr($1,n+2)}
+ set -- Delete Fullscreen
+ [ 2 != 0 ]
+ wmii9menu -i Delete Fullscreen
+ res=Delete
+ [ -n Delete ]
+ eval Client_3_last="$res"
+ Client_3_last=Delete
+ Menu Client-3-Delete 0xe0000d
+ menu=Client-3-Delete
+ shift
+ wmiir xwrite /client/0xe0000d/ctl kill
+ true

Thanks a lot for the help