Re: [dev] dwm-5.8.1 / dmenu-4.1.1

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 19:17:51 +0100

On 29 May 2010 18:18, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 01:12:15PM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I created two bugfix releases:
>>
>>  http://dl.suckless.org/dwm/dwm-5.8.1.tar.gz
>>  http://dl.suckless.org/tools/dmenu-4.1.1.tar.gz
>>
>> The dwm release reverts the EWMH fullscreen support. Apparently it
>> only made chromium to accept F11 requests, but broke mplayer and
>> didn't really fix the flash fullscreen issue, which is still
>> unresolved. I don't really mind to live with the flash breakage for
>> this bugfix release since I recommend to drop flash anyways in favor
>> for HTML5 video.
>
> The problem is that once you set the _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN atom in
> _NET_SUPPORTS, apps expect you to set their size to fullscreen when they ask
> for it. As for the flash bug, well, that's an easy fix. See patch below.
>
> The getfullscreen bit is probably not necessary in most cases. The rest of
> the clientmessage function is a hack, because I don't know the dwm
> sourcecode well enough to do it properly. It's just to show what's required.

I got a similar impression when reverting the changeset that the EWMH
fullscreen handling was incomplete.

Overall my aim is trying to prevent using too much EWMH magic, though
as things look more clients seem to fully depend on EWMH nowadays for
fullscreen handling, like chromium.

Feel free to commit your changeset for now, I'll look into it and will
experiment a bit with different clients such as mplayer and acroread
and try to come up with a more dwm style integration in clientmessage.

Thanks for your efforts!

Kind regards,
Anselm