[dev] Is there a reason to use install(1)?

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 23:24:44 +0200

Very often I see makefile use install(1) when cp, mkdir, chmod, and
Co. would be equally compact.

Is there any reason why someone should use install(1) instead of the
standard Unix tools?

Install(1) isn't available everywhere and AFAIR there are incompatible
versions, too. There are several reasons not to use it, but are there
ones that encourage using it?

I know, we don't use it, but there might be advantages of it, though.
These I would like to know.

meillo