Re: Re: [dev] Fwd: OT:GUI wireless connections management?

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 19:29:34 +0100

On 30 May 2010 00:58, Ilya Ilembitov <ilembitov_AT_ya.ru> wrote:
>> well I'm on openbsd. ifconfig is used for everything.
>
> Well, that changes pretty much everything. OpenBSD's ifconfig is probably a unique thing among other BSDs (AFAIK) and is nothing like Linux's ifconfig. And it's much simpler to use than iwconfig+wpa_supplicant in Linux. However, there are some types of encryption OpenBSD can't handle yet (although they are not as widespread as WPA/WPA2+TKIP/PSK).
>
> Honestly, because of things like that I would gladly switch to OpenBSD (since it supports all of my laptop's hardware and has all the software I need). But the fact that currently it doesn't have UTF-8 is really stopping me from doing so.

OpenBSD has excellent support of the 7bit ascii subset of UTF-8. What
else would you *really* need?

For my German conversations I'm in favor to rewrite German umlauts
like so: ae/Ae oe/Oe ue/Ue and sz and be still UTF8 compliant,
regardless the platform in use.

I understand that for cyrillic this would be a problem though.
Nevertheless you could live with KOI8 and use icu's uconv for
converting that stuff to UTF8 if you need to interchange with UTF8
world.

Cheers,
Anselm