Re: Re: [dev] Fwd: OT:GUI wireless connections management?

From: Dmitry Maluka <dmitrymaluka_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 22:30:48 +0300

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 07:29:34PM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> For my German conversations I'm in favor to rewrite German umlauts
> like so: ae/Ae oe/Oe ue/Ue and sz and be still UTF8 compliant,
> regardless the platform in use.
>
> I understand that for cyrillic this would be a problem though.
> Nevertheless you could live with KOI8 and use icu's uconv for
> converting that stuff to UTF8 if you need to interchange with UTF8
> world.

No problem :)
http://centrolit.kulichki.com/centrolit/rl/
http://lj.rossia.org/users/tiphareth/1271530.html?thread=36759274#t36759274
http://lj.rossia.org/users/tiphareth/786569.html?thread=37375369#t37375369

Before KOI8 invention, we used transliteration a lot.

Generally, ASCII is totally enough for communications between people. I
would be happy with good ol' "1 character == 1 byte" principle.
Simplicity, small charset, many problems are solved automatically...
That's gone. We (IT people) surrendered the initiative to the world
around, though we could push that technical limitation through to force
the world to switch to a simple small unified alphabet.