Re: [dev] Tiling windowmanager workflow (Was: [dvtm] Fibonacci layout patch)

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:10:38 +0100

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Moritz Wilhelmy <crap_AT_wzff.de> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 01:27:07PM +0200, Mate Nagy wrote:
>> > Using the vim splits may be cheating, but it sure is convenient.
>> sorry for self-reply: I thought that maybe for maximum punishment, the
>> fibonacci layout could support nmaster. (Also note that this is a
>> 2560x1600 setup, that's why so much division (and nmaster) makes sense.)
>
> Ah, guess it's just my 1280x1024 screen then :)
> Actually tiling doesn't even make much sense on it, when I went with monocle on
> the netbook I grew used to it and use it everywhere now.
> Anyone else interested in sharing their way how they use their System? It seems
> like an interesting topic.

The typical usage where I have more than one window is that I have
maybe 2 windows providing a view on an editor open (eg, for showing a
.h and .cpp file, or two .cpp files when I'm trying to track down an
inconsistency in usage), an xterm for running the program being
developed and one xterm holding gnuplot and one gnuplot window (or
looking at accuracy plots (I tend to work on machine learning stuff
where you do that a lot). So it's all associated with one "human
level" task, but it's using multiple computer applications.

Likewise there are other situations, but they all tend to fall into
that category: I don't tend to have "separate human tasks" on screen
at the same time very much.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com