Re: [dev] Tiling windowmanager workflow (Was: [dvtm] Fibonacci layout patch)

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:26:50 +0200

Ethan Grammatikidis dixit (2010-06-06, 12:37):

> >What is a minor annoyance for me is how the “m”-mode in dwm is
> >implemented. The clients that aren’t in focus are visible underneath
> >the focused window. At least I think that’s how it’s done, since I can
> >see Chromium at the bottom of urxvtc.
>
> This is why I suggested st not bother with size hints, although it
> ought to be fixed in the WM really. A quick fix might be to put all
> non-visible windows in iconified state. ion3 does this (although it
> doesn't really need to), and it seems not to have any problems.

You're welcome to disrespect hints at dwm level (resizehints=false) in
which case urxvtc will truly cover the full screen. Hints make sense
though, and not using them may mess up the terminal occasionally – this
has been of course argued about and discussed here a million times.

Iconising clients *might* be a solution, though I'm not certain whether
I'd be more scared than comforted *not* seeing another client from under
a non-fullscreen window (be it terminal or anything else).

--
[a]