[dev] XDG directories

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:19:42 -0400

While on the one hand, I think that the people who wrote the XDG
spec are raving mad[1], on the other, I hate applications
clogging up my home directory with dot-files. I'm considering
moving ~/.wmii to ~/.config/wmii. I'd really prefer something of
a non-dot-dir flavor, but since there's no such standard,
there's really no point. Does anyone have any arguments, or even
any half decent rants, either way? Shall I have to indulge in a
cold shower and a strong purgative afterwards? I do expect that
I'll feel more than a little sick.

[1] As if the XDG spec isn't already verging on batty, the XDG
     menu spec is certifiably insane. The Desktop people used to
     base their menus on simple, sensible .desktop files and a
     directory hierarchy, which wasn't so bad. But in their ever
     quicker race to the pinacle of inscrutable complexity, XDG
     menus are now XML based and the spec is a full 30 pages
     long.
[2] % ls -d .* | wc -l
     311

--
Kris Maglione
For the time being, programming is a consumer job, assembly line