Re: [dev] XDG directories

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:33:51 +0100

Hey,

On 11 June 2010 10:19, Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> While on the one hand, I think that the people who wrote the XDG spec are
> raving mad[1], on the other, I hate applications clogging up my home
> directory with dot-files. I'm considering moving ~/.wmii to ~/.config/wmii.
> I'd really prefer something of a non-dot-dir flavor, but since there's no
> such standard, there's really no point. Does anyone have any arguments, or
> even any half decent rants, either way?

I completely support this (dotfiles anger me). If you move
"$HOME/.wmii" to "${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-$HOME/.config}/wmii", as per the
XDG spec, then anyone can set the config dir to whatever they want
(such as ~/lib) and be dotfile-free. The path looks pretty ugly with
all its environs but it's the closest we have to a standard.

As a sidenote I was wondering whether we should do this with dmenu_cache.

cls