Re: [dev] Interesting post about X11

From: Will Light <visinin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:48:07 -0700

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Alexander Teinum <ateinum_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I would love to see a minimalistic replacement, and I have
> followed the Wayland development for some time. Since the computer is
> almost never used without a web browser, I’d like to see the web
> browser engine run in fullscreen and have all applications – including
> the system that organizes the applications and the terminal
> implemented by using web technologies. This is slightly bit off-topic,
> but my point is that we may never see another generation of “X.Org +
> window manager + GTK/QT + applications built on these toolkits”-like
> architecture built from scratch ever again.

man, it's no better in the web world! there's no "standard library",
everybody's got a toolkit they prefer (that they built from scratch
*on top of* JS/HTML/CSS). just off the top of my head, I can name
jquery ui, sproutcore, ext.js, dijit (dojo), cappuccino (obj-J),
closure (google), and those are just the big ones! even worse,
remember that all of those are written in an interpreted language (JIT
at best!), running inside a browser that has its own quirks and
differences from other browsers, and then *that* gets run under your
already-sub-par window system. the web on the desktop is *not* the
solution, it just makes the problem worse.

-w