Re: [dev] Interesting post about X11

From: Aled Gest <himselfe_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:39:39 +0100

> sorry, but I'm not sure that the burden of proof is on him.

It isn't, which is why I'm not demanding proof from him. It was simply
a gesture that I would be interested to see well written practical
examples of Scheme or Lisp in action.

> Furthermore, I don't think the whole "I hate everything you said and I
> don't care a bit, but mayyybe if you're real nice you can try to
> convince me" shtick takes us in a productive direction.

I think you misinterpreted my intention. I was simply pointing out
that until I can see evidence that contradicts my preconceptions, I
can't simply take somebody's word for it.

> And as a last (and unrelated) point, I would say that embracing Lispy
> things, reading SICP, (writing your own eval :), et cetera makes you
> write better C programs even if you never touch Lisp again. Ignorance is
> never an advantage, whatever you're ignorant of.

Indeed you are correct ignorance is foolhardy. It is ignorant, for
example, to assume that one can not formulate ideas or an
understanding, that would allow them to achieve a level of proficiency
in writing code, without embracing a particular discipline or
ideology. ;)