Re: [dev] pertag and bstack patches to dwm incompatible

From: Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 13:46:41 -0400

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Andrew Antle <andrew.antle_AT_gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen_AT_gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I actually offered to do this in a private message to Anselm last
>> December.
>> > He didn't respond. He's always been very good about responding to my
>> emails
>> > (and in a very gentlemanly way, I might add), so I think this one just
>> fell
>> > through a crack (and I'd be lying if I claimed I'd never done this
>> myself).
>> > That I sent it on the day before Xmas probably didn't help. In that
>> message
>> > I mentioned that I wasn't sure what the protocol was for fixing the
>> patches
>> > of others (e.g., suppose I fix a problem in a way that is not acceptable
>> > the original author -- what then?).
>>
>> > /Don
>>
>> Hey Don -
>>
>> Aside from v4hn's previous mail; that's what the wiki's for. :) Just
>> clone the repo, add your patch with a different name and an
>> explanation. It doesn't have to replace v4hn's. One might work for
>> someone's setup, the other for another's...
>>

> Sounds easy enough -- you talked me into it!
>
> /Don

By the way, for everyone's info, my plan is NOT to modify pertag, for the
reasons v4hn gives in the message to dev that he referenced in his email to
me. My plan is to modify bstack, to insert the bstack and bstackhoriz
functions directly into dwm.c, rather than pulling them in with the #include
of config.h, which leads to the circular dependency v4hn and I separately
described. If anyone thinks this is a bad plan, plz let me know. Again, I'm
not into wasting my (or anyone else's) time.

/Don