[dev] [wmii] Locale problem with "uptime" (loadavg in status bar) and a suggestion

From: nico <nico_AT_lifeisabug.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:08:32 +0200

Hello there,

i changed my systems locales to de_DE.UTF-8 and now the command "uptime"
is using "," instead of "." because of LC_NUMERIC now being set to German
too. As a result of this the loadavg part of the default statusbar looks
like "131 087 071" (no dots since commas are removed by sed).
I have tried several things to make it work but I was not sucessful.
LC_NUMERIC _must_ be exported to make it work correctly, since uptime is
called from a subshell. Exporting LC_NUMERIC to an English locale is not an
option.

Now, I don't know how to make that status command respecting a different
locale.
Changing the sed command to something more complex would surely work but I
am posting this here since this was no issue with wmii 3.6 yonks ago and
maybe other people run into this too. Any suggestions how to handle this?

Secondly, a small suggestion:
I would like to have something like a small indication if there are any
floating windows hidden "behind" the managed layer if the latter is toggled
active (currently there is none and it's quite possible to forget about the
floating windows ;) Maybe a "~" in the tags name like the "*" if a window
is requesting attention. Don't know if this is possible but I hope you get
what I mean.

regards,
nico