Re: [dev] [dwm] adding WM_WINDOW_ROLE rule

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:03:01 -0400

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:53:12AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2010, at 11:48, Rob wrote:
>>> There is something that make me sad with dwm, there is a lack of role
>>> rules for clients. I explain : clients have instance and name using
>>> WM_CLASS, but there is also WM_WINDOW_ROLE which is really important
>>> and useful.
>
> Pardon me for ranting, but WM_WINDOW_ROLE looks like nothing more than
> brain-damage from freedesktop.org monks who had to "reason" away
> perfectly sound usage of WM_CLASS. I'm upset because this broke a window
> manager I got on with rather well, but I honestly wonder how close the
> reasoning behind this issue is to that of the 12th-century monks who
> wrote down, as a factual example for human life, that a badger when
> pursued by dogs would bite it's own balls off because it knew that's what
> the dogs were really after!

You would do well to indulge in some cursory research before
opining. WM_WINDOW_ROLE predates the freedesktop project by
quite a long time and serves an entirely different purpose from
WM_CLASS. Nor could it be a freedesktop invention, since by
policy they are all prefixed with _NET_. WM_WINDOW_ROLE is an
old part of ICCCM that deals with session management, not window
identification.

--
Kris Maglione
Deleted code is debugged code.