Re: [dev] [dwm] adding WM_WINDOW_ROLE rule

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 22:33:10 -0400

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 02:12:39AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2010, at 2:24, Kris Maglione wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:55:14AM +0200, Uriel wrote:
>> I have to admit that I don't make a strong distinction between XML and
>> Java, but fontconfig really isn't X. It's just an external library like
>> anything else.
>
> Can you build or run the X server without fontconfig? I haven't tried in
> years, but if I remember right the one time I tried, it wouldn't work.

Yes, you can. fontconfig is purely a client-side library. On the
other hand, Xft requires it, and therefore so does everything
built on GTK, Qt, FLTK, or Java. More sinister, ghostscript also
requires it, and so does xetex (most distressingly). It will be
a bad day when I meet Kieth Packard.

--
Kris Maglione
Insane people are always sure that they are fine.  It is only the sane