Re: [dev] curses samterm

From: Wolf Tivy <wtivy1_AT_my.bcit.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 16:29:34 -0700

> Curses does support mouse use at this point, and seeing as the
> use of
> the mouse to select text is one of the big features of sam, I think
> it'd be important to keep that. Instead of using the menu, the options
> from it could all be mapped to single or chorded keystrokes of the
> left hand (user defined mappings so lefties, righties, and users of
> any keyboard would be happy...). The biggest question I feel is what
> to do about the command window vs file windows. My first thought is
> that we're headed towards a modal editor like vi, but then you
> can no
> longer select and edit text from the command window or paste into
> different files unless you have separate "windows" open in
> curses or
> use a clipboard outside of sam. Which brings my second thought of
> actually having a separate command window in the curses interface
> instead of being modal. Problem is, neither of these sound like
> a good
> way of going about it. Any ideas?

Thee best thing I have come up with is to throw
out trying to emulate the usual samterm entirely and build up
from the protocol/sam -d.

My motivation for this project comes more from the weaknesses
of directly using sam -d than from the strengths of bitmap sam.
For example, guessing line numbers (or worse, character adresses),
and editing blind (no automatic page view) are the biggest pains for
me. If fixing those problems ends up with something lookign like
normal sam, good, if not, I don't care.

My current idea is just to have the screen displaying the file (where?)
with dot highlighted. A few lines at the bottom would have
the command line, maybe it would dynamically adjust for multiline
commands, I dunno. You could cursor around using arrows or
mouse (how do we scroll with mouse) or whatever to select the
dot.

Still a few kinks, using mouse instead of the usual keyboard
selection avoids modal shit, but then how do we do scrolling?
Also, though I have seen mouse in text-mode, It seems rare enough
that it might not be a good idea to rely on it.