Re: [dev] Suckless design in Games

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:43:16 +0100

On 10 August 2010 15:18, lordkrandel <lordkrandel_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> As in all fields of art, the purpose goes beyond "effectiveness"
> and "semplicity" or "productivity". Sure a simple design can be
> more attractive and addictive, but they say, de gustibus non
> dispuntanda est.

By "simple" I do not mean "smaller", but rather, "elegant". When
writing a program you must ensure that the code is both efficient
(science) and understandable (linguistics), but also that the surface
with which people interact is both easy (psychology) and beautiful
(art). "The cart is more than the sum of its parts." This is what I
mean by simplicity, and it is very much a matter of taste. So while I
agree that the purpose goes beyond effectiveness and productivity, I
think simplicity is the very essence of Art.

cls