Re: [dev] Suckless design in Games

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 16:07:21 +0100

On 10 August 2010 22:56, Chidambaram Annamalai <quantumelixir_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I suppose you have browsed through the sources an don't find anything novel
> in them. In which case, I certainly would like to know what you consider
> elegant. Then, maybe I can learn to appreciate good design?

I haven't even heard of Boost until now, and I don't know C++, but I
have looked at some elegant, and a lot of not-so-elegant, code. I used
to consider Plan 9 to be elegant, but as I've grown more familiar with
the source behind the concepts, I'm not quite so sure anymore.
(Heretic!)

Amongst my most admired code is xv6[1], a modern x86 reimplementation
of UNIX V6 by Russ Cox, Frans Kaashoek, and Robert Morris. Having
hacked around with the source while I was writing my own kernel, I
have to say, it really is beautiful. (A lot of credit must go to Ken
Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, et al for the original V6, of course.)

cls

[1]: http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/xv6/