Re: [dev] Suckless design in Games

From: Chidambaram Annamalai <quantumelixir_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 03:26:22 +0530

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Chidambaram Annamalai
> <quantumelixir_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Although I've "known" C++ for some time, it was only today that I found
> out
> > about the Boost Graph Library. Browsing through the code, I realized the
> > potential and power of template programming that is being exercised by
> > experts. The level of abstraction that is being employed in the code is
> > simply awe inspiring. It made me want to go back to the books and read up
> on
> > template metaprogramming all over again
>
> I hope to god this is a magnificent troll. There is nothing simple,
> beautiful, or elegant about Boost.

I didn't argue BGL was simple. But I'd certainly consider it elegant. Of
course I haven't seen too many well designed pieces of software for my
opinion to count much, as I have few references to compare it against. Some
of the abstractions that are being expressed in BGL are really nice. I have
many specific examples in mind but I won't bore anyone any further.

I suppose you have browsed through the sources an don't find anything novel
in them. In which case, I certainly would like to know what you consider
elegant. Then, maybe I can learn to appreciate good design?

Chillu