[dev] [vp] A media website video player/fetcher

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 05:18:55 -0400

This is a cleaned up version of some of the scripts I've been
using for a long time to play videos from sites like YouTube. I
use a key binding in my browser to copy the video URL and run
this script, which automatically runs a media player with the
given video. It can also fetch streaming videos. I have another
script that I use along with it to fetch a series of videos (the
dreaded multi-part uploads of YouTube fame), which I'm not
uploading at the moment.

For now, the only sites supported are YouTube and Revision3, but
I'm releasing in the hope that others will find it useful and
add more. I have some others, but they're not remotely release
ready. I'm well aware that there are other such programs around,
but they all tend to weigh in at several thousand lines, and the
logic for the individual sites is burried somewhere in the
middle. With vp, to add a new site, you just add a new vp-*
file, put the URL pattern at the top, and write whatever logic
you need.

The basic requirements are 9base or plan9port, curl, and, at the
moment, a javascript engine (spidermonkey or kjs) for the
youtube script, although I'll probably replace it with an awk
script in the near future.

     hg clone http://hg.suckless.org/vp
     cd vp
     mk install

--
Kris Maglione
You're bound to be unhappy if you optimize everything.