Re: [dev] libdraw development

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 16:20:35 -0400

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:10:16PM +0200, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
>Why not just split it, like everybody else does? Plus, other
>compilers possibly don't support it. I't quite a convention
>for libraries, as far as I know. Instead, you make it work
>only with gcc, something you usually complain about as big and
>sucky ____ that has more fuss than necessary because of GNU and
>ponies. How is that consistent? Does breaking conventions for
>static libraries really make it suckless? Isn't portability one
>of the goals?

I can give you one single good reason: It takes from 8 to 20
times as long to compile if you split it. That said, I don't use
that kind of GNU extension gunk so I split my files anyway.

And the convention is less common with the advent of dynamic
linking. Only libraries which are explicitly intended for static
linking split their files anymore.

--
Kris Maglione
Fast, fat computers breed slow, lazy programmers.