[dev] static bionic libc ...

From: Jens Staal <staal1978_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 20:34:01 +0200

Dear list

As far as I have understood (http://suckless.org/project_ideas) and
idea has been to use bionic as static libc in the Sta.li distribution.
However, it seems like this libc is relatively closely attached to the
Android SDK/NDK
(http://codingrelic.geekhold.com/2008/11/six-million-dollar-libc.html
,DGentry reply, 4th comment) and I doubt that the Android devs are
interested in patches not needed specifically for Android in their
tree.
I suppose this means that a fork/spoon/spork of bionic would have to
be made with patches that enables it to be a general-purpose static
libc.

If this is indeed what you suckless gurus have been planning, I got a
suggested name for this branch with some obscure litterary references
(which I will explain below).

suggested name: "fReemade libc"

The name links the "6 million dollar man" reference of bionic to the
Remade in the steampunk/dark fantasy Bas-Lag
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas-Lag) novels of China MiƩville
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Mi%C3%A9ville). The Remade are the
product of a punishment where criminals are fused to mechanical (or
animal) parts, which in essence is a life-long sentence to slavery.
Some revolutionary Remade call themselves fReemade.

I thought it was a pretty cool link with several nice interpretations
- libc getting "freed" from its now limited purpose, builders of
statically linked binaries getting "freed" from the (AFAIK) unresolved
legal issues of LGPL when licence conflicts may occur.

PS sorry if this came out as a "brainfart" DS