Re: [dev] [dwm] window borders in Virtualbox

From: Thomas Dahms <thmsdhms_AT_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:05:43 +0100

Am 01.11.2010 16:05, schrieb Thomas Dahms:
> Hi list,
>
> I am using dwm inside an Oracle Virtualbox (version 3.2.10 on Windows
> host, Arch Linux x86_64 guest with xorg-server 1.9.901).
>
> When switching focus between two side-by-side terminals, only the upper
> parts of the window borders are redrawn (down to the point where the
> lowest of the two cursors is). Other applications also show border
> drawing issues, but it's not as predictable as with terminals. When
> redrawing everything (by switching layouts), the borders are redrawn
> correctly.
>
> The funny thing is that when I try to take a screenshot of what's
> happening, the borders look right in the screenshot. Regardless of where
> I take the screenshot, host or guest.
>
> This does not occur with other window managers, but it may still not be
> dwm's fault. I'd be glad if someone can help.

Nobody replied, which is fine because this is really not a bug in dwm.
The X drivers of Virtualbox and VMWare seem to mishandle
XSetWindowBorder() [1].

Attached patch (against dwm tip) works around the problem in a very ugly
way, but maybe other people running Virtualbox are interested.

[1]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-vmware/+bug/312080

--
Thomas Dahms