Re: [dev] xmessage replacement similar to dmenu

From: Moritz Wilhelmy <crap_AT_wzff.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:48:58 +0100

Excerpts from Ciprian Dorin, Craciun's message of Tue Nov 23 20:34:04 +0100 2010:
> Well I like `dmenu` for two very important reasons: first it is
> simple and solves only one problem (thus suckless :) ), and second it
> looks really slick. (It fits as a glove with the `i3` window manager,
> and I like that it always positions itself at the bottom of the
> screen, plus it allows me to customize the colors from the command
> line.)
First of all, dmenu is a menu, not a message-displayer. The xmessage colors can
be configured from ~/.Xdefaults. See here[1] for an example.

> So I wouldn't say that `xmessage` doesn't solve the problem of
> displaying messages, but unfortunately it looks really ugly (I would
> say that this is a feature because it should be used as a last resort
> tool), and secondly it is maximized by `i3` thus covering the entire
> screen.
you could however use either dzen as alternative or hack the dmenu code to
become some sort of ``suckless message display''. dmenu happens to be a menu
after all.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards,

Moritz