Re: [dev] xmessage replacement similar to dmenu

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:46:10 +0000

Hey,

On 23 November 2010 18:37, Ciprian Dorin, Craciun
<ciprian.craciun_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently using the `dmenu` in some scripts, but I also need a
> tool similar to `dmenu` which displays a (multi-line) message (like
> `xmessage`).

> And secondly: is there a `dmenu` patch that also allows the
> display of a multi-line message at the top of the list (this should
> work both in the case of horizontal or vertical lists)? This way it
> could be used as a simple `dialog` variant for X. (For example the
> text would be help instructions for the command that must be entered.)

dmenu was not designed with this use case in mind, and there are no
patches for it. However, there are some ways you can invoke dmenu to
make it fit in this sort of role. Have some contrived examples.

One, a dialog (options, but only a single line of text):
http://lubutu.com/tmp/img/101123-1.png

Two, a message (multiple lines of text, but no options).
http://lubutu.com/tmp/img/101123-2.png

If you want more than that you'll have to find or make a tool for the
job (dzen is the only one I know of). But I find dmenu flexible enough
for most situations.

Thanks,
cls