[dev] wmii / tip bug - gnome-terminal loses focus + "no updates" when fullscreen

From: Armando Di Cianno <armando_AT_goodship.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:36:41 +0000

In wmii-3.9.2, setting gnome-terminal to fullscreen works as expected.

When I use wmii-tip and I engage fullscreen, gnome-terminal takes up
the full screen, but simultaneously seems to cease updating and/or
lose focus. If I mash the keyboard when it's fullscreened, nothing
happens; then, if I un-fullscreen, I see the keyboard output in
columnized size. Other GTK apps don't seem to have any issues with
fullscreen.

Help! Is there anything I can do figure out where or why this is
happening in the code? Minimal checking of xprop info didn't seem that
interesting. I hg diff'd 3.9.2 commit revision to tip, and while some
fullscreen code was changed, nothing stood out -- considering I don't
know X11 code, this isn't surprising. ;-)

__armando

P.S. I hate to say it, but I like gnome-terminal -- it handles lots of
mixed unicode fonts well (we use "special" characters a lot at work)
and the on-the-fly font-resize is a killer feature for me -- but
suggestions are welcome if I can simply get around this with another
terminal (rxvt-unicode, sadly is the absolutely suck for mixed fonts
-- mainly because the default font sets the maximum pixel height of
the font). I can do without antialiasing, but not unicode and quick
resizing.