Re: [dev] Re: How do you cope with OSX? (if at all)

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:11:15 +0100

A friend of me managed to install ubuntu plus some hacks to make it work. The issues were:

- power management not as good as in osx
- screen is not normal rgb setup (you have to add a specifix color scheme for X11)
- wireless driver ( broadcom) is pure shit. It mostly works, but in powersave mode it just crashes the kernel.

A part from that the rest of the hw works pretty well. The 11 finger capacitive multitouch pad works too.

Im pretty happy with it. Battery life is great, weight is awesome and stability is quite decent. The only thing i miss is some more cpu.. But in a macbookair you cant handle all those features :P its temperature is pretty low.

In fact i think that mba is the best laptop atm for price/quality/weight if you like smart laptops without innecessary stuff like dvd drives or 999 plugs.

The sad thing is that there is no other option a part from Apple atm. Sony is putting prices pretty high for their vaio, hp, acer.. Just suck as real laptops (its ok if you dont plan to move them), an lenovo.. Well, they are great, but i always find them like designed by a militar.

And well, dell is like not pushing any decent laptop for about 2 years.. Too much interest in big sells.

Not to say that nowadays there is no manufacturer that sells any laptop without windows (apart from apple, which ships OSX).

Dell just lies in their forms.

Kinda sad situation.. Buy after 5 years using a dell 420 12".. I had to change 3 times the keyboard because it was broken.. And the battery and charger once. Lets see how the apple keyboard resists my fingers.. In fact im starting to like more the laptop kbd of a mac than the pc ones.. As long as you dont use arrow keys or keypad the key feeling is pretty good. But still have to know how time can i type before having to change it.

See inline

On 18/03/2011, at 17:30, Isaac Raway <iraway_AT_nerdery.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, pancake wrote:
>
>> At the beggining I was using dwm+xterm on XQuartz, but it was pretty inneficient and anoying.
>>
>> I have not
>> found any decent tiling (or even non-tiling) window manager for OSX. So I stay in a fullscreen shell and ssh to the linux vm.
>
> dwm works very, very well for me. The only issue is that you have to rebuild all your apps to work under x11. So far that hasn't been a blocker for me. Depends on what you need to use. This setup is very fast, I haven't had any performance issues. Not sure if this is due to some flaw in XQuartz or not - I would try X11.app if you want to give it a go again, works really well for me.
>
>> to install dwm in osx, you can just replace the /usr/bin/quartz-wm binary and kill XQuartz.
>
> I would say that is not quite optimal, at least if you need to use Aqua apps regularly - my setup preserves quartz-wm and launches it for clipboard
> proxying so it's easy to copy/paste between X11 and Aqua.

I didnt knew that quartzwm was proxyfing the clipboard.. I just lived without it.