Re: [dev] Re: [ANN] ruby wmiirc - improved status bar applets

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:17:32 -0700

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Nathan Neff <nathan.neff_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> If I would "persist" the first arrangement, then
> the arrangement would /remain/ as
>
> 1 2
>   3
>
> But the firefox would "push" one of the other clients out of
> the view?  Is that what this feature does?

No, persistence means the reapplication of your chosen arrangement
when clients enter/leave the current view.

For example, if you started out with a single column like this:

  1
  2
  3

And chose "rightward" in the arrange status barlet:

  1 2
    3

And started a new client in the second column:

  1 2
    3
    4

Then, wmii tells us a client has entered the current view through
the "ClientAttach" event. The arrange barlet (which listens for
"ClientAttach" and "ClientDetach" events) is triggered and it
reapplies the "rightward" arrangement that you chose earlier.

As a result, your view now looks like this:

  1 2 4
    3

Start another client in the second column:

  1 2 4
    3
    5

And the status barlet again reapplies the "rightward" arrangement:

  1 2 5
    3 4

Start another client in the second column:

  1 2 5
    3 4
    6

And once again, the status barlet kicks in:

  1 2 6
    3 5
      4

This is what I mean by persistence.