Re: [dev] [st] bold as bright (again)

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:51:42 +0100

On 1 Apr 2011, at 3:07 pm, Stefan Mark wrote:

> On 01.04.2011 16:01, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

>>> They are not broken. As far as i understand it, both ways are
>>> correct.
>>> Early terminals did not have bold fonts, so bold text was done using
>>> higher brightness (which actually looked bold on these Eye burning
>>> machines).
>>
>> If "eye burning" is not broken, what is? That's my point.
>>
> Some people like it, some dont. It fits the standard (i think, seems a
> bit complicated).

Some people like it so applications are made which hurt other
people's eyes and then you find there's no good alternative to these
apps... The only answers I can see are limitation and configuration,
but the latter of course tends to suck and the former reeks of
rigourous standards. Perhaps we need a suckless htop, *lol*.