Re: [dev] dwm taskbar font

From: Thanos Zygouris <thanoulis_AT_fileserver.is-a-geek.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:52:38 +0300

On Sunday 03 April 13:52, Le Tian wrote:
> Could somebody explain or help me how to set a dwm taskbar font properly,
> cause I'm tired of guessing what am I doing wrong:
>
> I run arch and added dwm via abs into my home dir. So here are my actions:
> 1. cd into dwm compile dir (cd Public/dwm_sync/dwm/)
> 2. ls Public/dwm_sync/dwm/
> {
> config
> config.h
> dwm-5.8.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
> dwm-5.8.2.tar.gz
> dwm.desktop
> dwm.install
> pkg
> PKGBUILD
> src
> }
> 3. edited config.h with a font I chose in xfontsel
> {
> static const char font[] =
> "-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*";
> }
> 4. save and makepkg -efi --skipinteg
> 5. restart
>
> Result: nothing absolutely have changed. Why? What am I doing wrong? I've
> been trying with different fonts, so I don't have a clue. I found a very
> nice font in my /usr/share/fonts/ "ter-216n", how do I know what description
> in xfontsel it has?
>
> I've been asking about this in arch forum, but no advice that could fix it
> was given so far, so I'm asking suckless community archlinux users for
> help.

I'm using Archlinux with dwm too, but never used the ABS...
Instead, i manually download the source from suckless.org, maybe add some
patches, make my changes in config.h, and then "make", "make
install".
It is always worked for me that way...:)
The font definition you are using seems fine to me.
Also, the "ter-216n" font seems like a console font, so you will not be
able to use it in an X environment (but i maybe be wrong on this one).

--
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.
[-- GPG Public Key:FC26A5D6 --]