Re: [dev] st patch for draw() etc.

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:00:30 +0200

On 21 April 2011 11:39, Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 10:20:41AM +0200, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>> In dwm/dmenu and probably st I see some potential to share a single
>> implementation of draw.c. At first I wanted to create a lib for this,
>> but when Connor tested this approach in dmenu we concluded, that
>> additional library dependencies suck.
>>
>> The best compromise we came up with is having a shared draw.c among
>> dwm and dmenu at least, which is on the agenda for dwm 6.0. Probably
>> this could also be used for st.
>
> What made you come to this conclusion? I've found a few
> places where small shared libraries make my life much
> easier. And wouldn't it be easier for somebody to just have
> a shared library appropriate to their environment (x11 or
> opengl, for example), to compile against, rather than find
> their preferred environment's draw.c and copy it into the
> appropriate directory?
>
> Don't get me wrong, I very much like the low dependency load
> of suckless stuff, but I don't see why a .c file is better
> than an installed .a for shared functions.

The main reason is, that draw.c is far away from a "library" -- it is
rather a chunk of code that is shared particularly by dwm and dmenu
(and probably some very few others). There roots will all be in
suckless so the idea is just get the tar.gz and type make, instead of
downloading a lib first, make install that first, before make of dwm
or dmenu borks.

Cheers,
Anselm