Re: [dev] Why dwm or wmii over xmonad, etc., or not?

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:39:38 -0700

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM, dtk <d.t.k_AT_gmx.de> wrote:
> Suraj Kurapati wrote:
>> If your Ruby config is based on mine[1],
> I think it kind of is. iirc it's based on the one that ships with
> wmii per default, which again is based on yours, isn't it?

The version that ships with wmii is *ancient*! My config on GitHub
is much better, having since undergone several bursts of evolution.

I recommend upgrading to both wmii-hg and my config on GitHub. :)

>> then perhaps I could help:
> That would be ultra sweet (and fix the one big issue I have with
> wmii)

I just installed wireshark-gtk in ArchLinux and ran `sudo
wireshark`: it started up just fine; no crashes. My env:

  # wireshark -v
  wireshark 1.4.6

  # wmii -v
  wmii-hg2786+, ©2010 Kris Maglione

  # ruby -v
  ruby 1.9.2p180 (2011-02-18 revision 30909) [x86_64-linux]

  # rumai -v
  4.1.1

  # uname -a
  Linux ratham 2.6.38-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 30 08:47:36 CEST
  2011 x86_64 Genuine Intel(R) CPU U7300 @ 1.30GHz GenuineIntel
  GNU/Linux

>> What wmii, ruby, and wmiirc versions are you using?
> Actually, I reported the problem some time ago on this very
> mailing list. Do you have this[0] thread available for reference?

I recommend compiling wmii from its source code repository. The
3.9.2 stable release in your Linux distro is ancient, IMHO.

>> And is your config available online somewhere
> u can haz it over herre[3].

Your config seems fine. I don't see any glaring problems in it.