Re: [dev] Experimental editor

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:19:27 +0200

After seeing words "very experimental", I'm willing to share some
ideas, maybe too controversial otherwise for suckless folk ;)

First of all, check Recdit[1] editor. It's Mac OS X app, but nice paper
and short video is available. It has some unique features.

Is vertical side by side layout stupid idea? Maybe not. We've gone from
small screens to high resolution widescreen monitors. Moreover 2 or
3-screens setup isn't fancy anymore. Using so much vertical space
effectively for text editing is a topic worth of consideration.

Version control systems have evolved past few years. Still more
fine-grained history could be useful sometimes. Recdit introduced deep
diffs. Also this could be used as argument for avoiding syntax
highlighting (too much colors at once).

I love the text editor Sam. There is one problem with it - it's stack
based WM over stack based WM. How to resolve this issue? Just look at
so called distraction-free editors like FocusWriter[2] - using full
screen is a feature.

Maybe those group of editors is silly, but at least they don't pretend
to be anything else than text editors. I think that they were created
as response to complex WYSIWYG editors and IDE's, which made religion
out of interface.

Sam power with more classical interface (tabs - just check how
FocusWriter uses them) and Quake-like console (showing when needed) for
regexps could be a quite useful combo.

It looks like I presented idea for pretty much full blown text editor,
now bring in some bashing ;)

[1] http://www.thimbleby.net/truetext/
[2] http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/

--