Re: [dev] [dwm] sloppy focus

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 17:49:36 +0100

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> Interesting, those on IRC were very 'for' this idea. Different
> demographics? Oh you silly ML people!
>
> On 4 July 2011 06:51, garbeam <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> No I totally disagree. Click to focus makes the life uneccessary harder.
>> Doing this just for the rare corner case of touching your pointing device by
>> accident doesn't sound like a very sound reason for it.
>
> Well, the thing is, I don't ever use the mouse for window management,
> but I sometimes move the mouse out of the way and in doing so
> accidentally focus a completely different window. I personally would
> rather dwm had no mouse support at all, but clearly that would be
> controversial... Still, at least with click-to-focus the mouse is
> completely dormant until you intentionally click something.

I guess psychologically for me it's the other way around: I can't
remember the last time I nudged the mouse accidentally, so I tend to
associate things with "if I've moved the mouse over a window, clearly
it's because I want to interact with the window so why should I have
to redundantly tell the computer that with ane extra click". (It may
tangentially be relevant that I'm right handed but use the mouse with
my left hand, so when eg I write stuff on paper or pick up a drink
it's on the other side of the desk to the mouse, so the risk of
"accidental nudging" is incredibly low.)

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision reasearcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com