Re: [dev] [dwm] sloppy focus

From: Josh Rickmar <jrick_AT_devio.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:06:59 -0400

"Benjamin R. Haskell" <suckless_AT_benizi.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Josh Rickmar wrote:
>
> > Um, why is a systray needed for IRC?
>
> It's not necessary for IRC, per se. I wrote:
>
> > Without a systray, I don't understand where one gets the spare screen
> > real estate to dedicate to IRC.
>
> I don't understand how to effectively use IRC without doing one of the
> following:
>
> 1. keeping it on-screen (which seems impractical to me, partly because I
> still don't quite "get" dwm)
>
> or
>
> 2. having some kind of indication that you've been addressed (urgent
> hints or whatever).
>
> In other wm's, #2 is often handled by having a little flashing systray
> icon. So, broadening: what (if anything) do dwm users use for
> "notifications" or indicating urgency?
>
> --
> Best,
> Ben

Generally you'll end up using the dwm statusbar for that. I recently
switched from an always-open mutt (that used a terminal bell when new
mail arrived) to using heirloom's mailx. Now, if there's a new mail
message, my dwm statusbar script will append a little "new mail"
notification. I haven't yet completed the switch from irssi to
something more decent (read: ii) but would probably do the same sort
of thing if someone sent me a private message or used my nick in a
channel.

Josh