Re: [dev] Cannot start wmii

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 20:10:04 +0000

Þann sun 4.sep 2011 11:14, skrifaði Daniel Kowalski:
> On 09/04/2011 02:26 AM, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
>> Þann lau 3.sep 2011 23:42, skrifaði Daniel Kowalski:

>>> When I start x server I get xterm window from which I can start wm
>>> directly, if window gets killed (accidentaly) wm dies and brings down
>>> other apps. (It happened to me once, and I lost some unsaved work)
>>>

>> Are you sure the X server is starting xterm, and not xinit or another
>> wrapper script?
>
> No. It was some time ago (Slackware 11). As far as I remember I used
> xinit to start X, but killing this xterm window was fatal to X server.

Yes, because xinit kills the xinit started server when the xinit started
client exits. Don't use xinit unless you really want that (but that only
makes sense if the xinit started client is a session manager or you're
simply running a single full-screen app.
Treat Xserver as any other daemon.