[dev] A dmenu that includes all additional features

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:00:31 +0200

Hi,
in an attempt to get a dmenu that includes all features I want, I've been trying to combine patches from various sources to various versions of dmenu.
This has proven to be a pain, as patches conflict with each other (or sometimes apply, but still break functionality) and/or loose compatibility with newer upstream releases.
Interestingly, all of the features I want actually already have corresponding patches, it's just integrating everything that's so hard.
Myself, I'm a bad C coder so I hope there are some dmenu hackers out there that share the same goal and can help out.

Here's my list of features:
* horizontal mode (i.e. dmenu as we know it)
* vertical mode, with flag for how many lines long the menu can be
* string matching (dmenu as we know it) and token matching (aka xmms-like and awesomebar-like)
* toggle flag for stable sort: (should work with all matching modes)
        * stable: order matched results like they are ordered in the input
        * unstable: order by "best match" (match at beginning is better than in the middle)
* case sensitivity toggle
* custom colors
* cursor and "unix shortcuts" (ctrl-e, ctrl-a, ctrl-w, ..)
* traversing results list (going up and down) with arrow up/down and alt+j and alt+k
* multi select
* unicode support
* paste support (from either primary selection with shift-insert and clipboard, maybe with ctrl-V)

Dieter