Re: [dev] A dmenu that includes all additional features

From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:26:07 +0200

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:51:48 +0100
Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:

> On 12 September 2011 10:20, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter_AT_plaetinck.be>
> wrote:
> > Thank you for that bloat patch!
> > I didn't realise it could be this simple.
>
> dmenu is very easy to hack. ;)
>
> > I did see a bug:
> > when using token matching, it seems dmenu will always do stable
> > sort, even when -s is not given.
>
> Yeah, that's true. I think 'unstable' token matching would be quite
> slow (comparative to the rest of dmenu), and involve a lot of code
> ("). Maybe if someone's interested they can give it a shot.
>
> > May I suggest you add these patches to
> > http://tools.suckless.org/dmenu/patches? If you want, I could
> > improve your patch by also updating the man page.
>
> I've stolen the tokenise manpage from the 4.2.1 patch and pushed it.
> You can choose what to do with the other patch -- I'm not sure what
> I'd name it, anyway. :p

pushed where?

I wonder if we could restructure the code a bit in such a way, that all patches can be independent again and user can combine the patches they want without hitting conflicts. I mean, personally I have what I want now, but for others that seems more useful.

Maybe already renaming the match() to matchstr() function in dmenu would be a start. but then there is the command argument parsing where each patch adds an entry right below each other, this also commonly gives conflicts. And the usage function, where all changes are on the same line.
But I guess if the conflicts are this trivial, it might be easier for users to just resolve them by hand each time.

Dieter