[dev] Introducing XLSH

From: Michał Siejak <michal_AT_siejak.pl>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:37:52 +0200

Hello.

Recently I've written a simple program for myself and I think it fits
well into minimalistic suckless philosophy, so I present to you XLSH
or eXtended Login Shell. Let me paste a chunk of relevant info from
the README file:

A simple login shell with readline functionality and PAM integration.
 * When run stand-alone on a virtual console it can replace standard
"login" program.
 * When run in cooperation with X daemon component (xlshd) it can
replace XDM/GDM/KDM.

Features:
 * Small and simple, written entirely in C.
 * Easily hackable because of compact codebase (~1000 source lines).
 * Uses PAM for authorization and session management.
 * Ability to select non-default shell/window manager during logon.
 * Entirely keyboard driven display manager replacement (when used with xlshd)
   without the need for any fat libraries or GUI toolkits.
 * Defaults configured before compilation, some of them can be changed by
   setting few environment variables.
 * Single shell script file (/etc/xlsh/xlshrc) for customizing how
   xlshd launches xlsh.
 * Introduces a concept of "pre-login shell" known from GNU/HURD.
 * Only *three* important commands: 'login', 'reboot' and 'shutdown'.
 * New commands can be easily added (if you need any) by editing xlsh.c
 * Username autocompletion on TAB.
 * Zenburn color scheme by default (when run under X).

So that's it. I grew tired of XDM/GDM/KDM so I rolled my own solution.
I currently run it both on my ttys and instead of XDM. It serves me
well, I find simple keyboard shell-like interaction very comfortable
and it fits into my awesome WM look & feel (which is also Zenburn).

Source code is here: https://github.com/Nadrin/xlsh
Example screenshot is here: https://github.com/Nadrin/xlsh/wiki

If any of you guys find it useful let me know. :) Constructive
criticism/peer review is more than welcome.

Cheers!
--
Michał Siejak