Re: [dev] [st] Drawing optimizations

From: Stefan Mark <mark_AT_unserver.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:42:22 +0200

On 21.10.2011 00:00, Aurélien Aptel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know st rendering is slow. I'm currently trying out different
> solutions but I can tell you profiling X calls is no fun.
>
> tip now uses a simple dirty flag per line algorithm.
> Each modified line has the flag set to 1. Only dirty lines are drawn
> and once it's done their flag is set back to 0.
> I've noticed a significant speed up. I'll try more ideas in the near future.

I dont know if this helps:
It seems to depend strongly on the Graphics driver. Using intel or a
very old nvidia card (riva128), st is reasonable fast. But when using
radeon open source drivers (tested on two different cards), its
extremely slow. Other terminals (xterm and rxvt-unicode) are noticeable
slower with the radeon driver (strangely, i notice this slow-down only
with terminals, everything else runs well), but totally usable, while st
drops from a bit annoying slow to virtually unusable.