Re: [dev] [dwm] 2000 SLOC

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:50:22 +0100

On 31 October 2011 12:45, <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> * Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> [2011-10-31 10:12]:
>> I'm working on such guidelines. The main aspects are:
>>

>> 1. Relevance/Elitism: the project must be relevant in the context of
>> suckless.org's target audience, it must target expert
>> users/developers/administrators and _not_ typical end users.
>
> Putting elitism and relevance in the same line just doesn't make sense
> -- consider following: by chance, hundreds thousands of non-expert users
> discover the beauty of dwm through some end-user-friendly distro and
> overnight it's not only used by experts. Would it be then less relevant
> to experts?

This scenario is very unlikely, judging from the Stockholm syndrome
Apple users suffer from.

> The guidelines should only depend on project properties and on
> properties of the problem the project addresses.

The guidelines we are talking about are about what the suckless.org
project targets and what not. Of course each project might have
guidelines that are highly dependent on the project properties, but
this is beyond the scope of cleaning all the mess up that suckless.org
is today.

Cheers,
Anselm