Re: [dev] wmii + ruby 1.9.3 = no power woes!

From: Hadrian Węgrzynowski <hadrian_AT_hawski.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:38:10 +0100

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 22:28:59 -0800
"Suraj N. Kurapati" <sunaku_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu 03 Nov 2011 09:57:19 AM PDT, Kurt H Maier wrote:
>> There is nothing "suckless" about any aspect of modern wmii
>
>I thought Suckless folks were enthusiastic about Plan9 technologies;
>has this changed? If so, why?
>
>And how is "modern" wmii different from its, let's say, "pre-modern"
>phase? From my view, it still uses the Plan9 protocol and the Plan9
>approach of exposing a virtual filesystem for operation by the user.
>
>Thanks for your consideration.

Window management in X is quite simple and limited task. We could
expose a virtual file system for operation by the user if we would build
Window System - X replacement. Such system could possibly gain
something by a virtual file system.

As for managing windows in X we have now for quite a time something far
more superior - dwm. Now you can just work and window manager will
manage your windows - that's modern part.

Conclusion:
wmii - manual window management (is it still management then
if it's manual? - more like manual window placement): 30k SLOC + Nk
SLOC configuration
dwm - dynamic window management: <2k SLOC

Any questions?