Re: [dev] [dwm] 2000 SLOC

From: Andreas Krennmair <ak_AT_synflood.at>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:14:39 +0100

* Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com> [2011-11-02 16:00]:
>> * hiro <23hiro_AT_googlemail.com> [2011-11-02 10:11]:
>> >
>I used to use mobile version of some websites, but as handheld
>computer bloat up, so do websites. I honestly hope that HTML5 will
>finally allow us to drop CSS support. The hope is weak.

On the contrary, HTML5 goes the way of bringing markup to a more abstract,
semantic way (with a plethora of new tags such as <section>, <article> and
many more), and for this semantic markup the layout is defined purely via CSS.

Another core concept that plays into this is "progressive enhancement", which
states that the basic content can be downloaded and displayed in a simple yet
readable manner by only presenting the content itself (w/o images, CSS, or
JS), and that externally linked CSS and unobtrusive JavaScript "enhance" a
page if they are supported and enabled in the web browser, but of course, the
page/web application shall work correctly even without e.g. JavaScript enabled
(or even supported).

-Andreas