Re: [dev] [dwm] drop the bars (was: systray in upstream dwm?)

From: Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 07:36:38 -0400

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 07:41:56AM +0200, Jan Christoph Ebersbach wrote:
> Why don't we drop the bars and keybindings and let separate programs
> handle it.

Because then dwm would have to have a custom protocol to describe tag
state to panels, which would then presumably have to poll an interface
to keep up to date. It makes more sense for the tag list and the title
area to be built into dwm.

> There are also other patches like Xft that show that there is
> a need for choice and extension. Building everything into dwm is not a
> good idea, agreed.

There is already 'choice and extension.' If there weren't, bad ideas
like the xft patch would not exist.

> So let's create a proper interface for dwm that other
> programs can use.

This was called wmii -- the Rasputin of window managers. It took forever to die.

Better to drop the status area from dwm and resurrect some early version
of dzen; I recall when that started it was a status area program and not
a full gui toolkit.