Re: [dev] I messed up...used glib, dbus, and friends. Need help to fix this mistake

From: Andy Spencer <andy753421_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 03:23:53 +0000

On 2012-05-15 18:53, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> I messed up bad...I thought by using glib/GIO functionality it would
> make it easier for me. However, I realized now that everything is so
> much more complicated.

I don't think you really need a "suckless" alternative or a wrapper
library for most of these, there are APIs for most of them depending on
your OS.

Also, for what it's worth, glib by itself nearly as bad as
GIO/GVFS/DBus, especially if you want to be portable.

Anyway here's some alternatives, many of these are Linux specific:

> 1. Mounting USB disks, partitions, and samba shares.
> - Suckless alternative: libc, libmount?

  Why not just use mount(1) and mount(2)?

> 2. Getting filesystem size, file modification times, etc.
> - Suckless alternative: libc, anything else?

  getmntent(3)/statfs(2), stat(2)/fstat(2), etc

> 3. Spawn tasks asynchronously and return the stderr and stdout
> output.
> - Suckless alternative: libspawn

  popen(3), or just fork/dup2/exec.

> 4. Dictionary data type to store key value pairs.
> - Suckless alternative: hash table with libc?

  tsearch and friends from search.h

> 5. String utility
> - Suckless alternative: libporty

  What do you want to do? There's string.h..
  If you want regexes there are several libraries for that