Re: [dev] dwm tip changes

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:01:35 +0200

On 23 June 2012 23:51, Arian Kuschki <arian.kuschki_AT_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 23 June 2012 20:06, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, dwm now disallows resizing/moving/float fullscreen windows, as
>> this doesn't seem very useful anyways.
>
> I haven't tested the changes yet, I just want to say that I find
> resizing full screen windows useful sometimes. For some apps (e.g.
> Evince) going full screen seems to be the only way to hide menu bars
> etc. This means when you want to efficiently use your screen (e.g.
> half/half editor/pdf file), it makes sense to put an app into full
> screen and then make it smaller again.
>
> I know there are probably apps in every category that allow one to do
> this without going full screen. So, just my 2 cents.

I understand your remark. The newly introduced limitation addresses
the moving/resizing by mouse only.
Usually clients will exit fullscreen mode when they are resized/moved.
Some won't.

The issue here is really that we are dealing with broken concepts.
Apps that provide a better UI in fullscreen mode should be fixed to do
so in normal screen mode imho.

The new approach seems conceptually clearer, as it makes no compromise
for the category of clients that destroy the window on re-adjustment.

But if there are many such use cases I might reconsider this decision.

Best regards,
Anselm