Re: [dev] [st] Tip adds non-existing trailing whitespace upon mouse selection + fix

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 19:03:47 +0200

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 04:07:54PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> i feel this annoying too, but someone told me this was an
> intentional behaviour.

The problem is that tab characters means a movement of the cursor. so if you
apply your patch and run something like:

$ printf "a\tb"

you will see in the screen:

a b

but if you try copy/paste it you will copy only the character a and b,
getting:

ab

Solution of copying all the characters needs some work, because I agree it sucks
when you copy this non existing leading paces. I think the solution should be a
variable by line saying maximum column written in it. I think other terminal
emulators do something like this.

Of course actual solution converts all tabs into spaces, but fix this is
reallt complex and I think all the emulator take this aproach.

Sincerely,

Roberto E. Vargas Caballero.